Critical Care Organizations KEG

View Only
Discussion Thread View

Welcome to the CCO KEG!

• 1.  Welcome to the CCO KEG!

Posted 02-14-2023 10:58

Hi everyone! 

My name is Stephen M. Pastores, and I am the program director of critical care medicine and vice-chair of education in the Department of Anesthesiology and Critical Care Medicine at Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center in New York City. I will be cochairing this Critical Care Organizations Knowledge Education Group (CCO KEG) with John M. Oropello, who is the program director of critical care medicine and director of the transplant ICU at Mount Sinai Medical Center. Before forming this KEG, John and I were cochairs of the Academic Leaders in Critical Care Medicine (ALCCM), commissioned by SCCM using the expertise of successful leaders of advanced governance CCOs in North America to write a series of consensus papers and provide toolkits to advance the development and growth of CCOs.

We are both delighted to welcome you to this KEG and look forward to advancing and sharing knowledge about CCOs with the goal of fostering their development in academic and community hospitals and hospital networks.

Since we are such a diverse group, I thought we might take some time to introduce ourselves so that our future posts have a bit more context and color. Feel free to share who you are, what you do, what you are currently working on, your areas of interest, or something about you that your fellow critical care clinicians might find interesting or surprising.

John M. Oropello, MD, FACP, FCCP, FCCM
    Stephen M. Pastores, MD, MACP, FCCP, FCCM

------------------------------
    Stephen Pastores
    Program Director, Critical Care Medicine
    Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center
    New York NY

• 2.  RE: Welcome to the CCO KEG!

Posted 02-14-2023 14:56

Welcome, everyone!

I'm Sam Tisherman and I am the Council liaison to this KEG. I'm a surgical intensivist at the University of Maryland, Director of our Surgical ICU and Director of the Center for Critical Care and Trauma Education.

Looking forward to lots of great discussions amongst the group. If I can assist with anything, please don't hesitate to ask.

Sam

Samuel Tisherman
    Professor
    U of Maryland Medical Center R. Adams Cowley Shock Trauma Center
    Baltimore

• 3.  RE: Welcome to the CCO KEG!

Posted 02-14-2023 14:56

Hi Dr. Pastores and thanks for welcoming us. I work closely with Dr. Pastores as the chief fellow for the CCM fellowship program at MSK, having previously completed EM residency at NewYork-Presbyterian Brooklyn Methodist. I'll be starting at NYU as both an EM and ICU attending in July of this year. Looking forward to future conversations in this KEG!

Ryan Sieli
    Fellow
    New York

• 4.  RE: Welcome to the CCO KEG!

Posted 02-14-2023 16:15

Thank you Dr. Pastores.

Hello Everyone,
    I am currently 2nd year Critical Care Fellow at the Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center. I did Internal Medicine residency at the Cleveland Clinic Fairview Hospital. I am interested in POCUS, ARDS and Diversity in Critical Care. Looking forward to lots of great discussions amongst the group and learning from the group.

Sany Kumar

PGY-V Critical Care

Sany Kumar
    Fellow
    Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center
    New York

• 5.  RE: Welcome to the CCO KEG!

Posted 02-15-2023 07:10

Hi everyone, I'm Alex Pratt and I am the Physician Executive for the Critical Care Medicine service line within the Medstar Medical Group. MedStar Health is a 10-hospital system in the DC and Maryland area. Our Critical Care teams were only recently organized into a service line, so I am the first service line chief for critical care. I am currently focused on aligning staffing, work expectations, privileging, and compensation across our groups, and also addressing burnout and professional fulfillment within the organization, identifying opportunities for academic and clinical collaboration to reduce redundancy, and finding creative ways to leverage telehealth. One of my passions is family- and patient-centered care. 

Look forward to interesting discussions!

Alexandra Pratt
    MedStar Washington Hospital Center
    Washington

• 6.  RE: Welcome to the CCO KEG!

Posted 02-15-2023 08:37

Hi everyone,

Greetings and thank you for the invite.
    My name is Keith Killu. I have been a part of  SCCM for many years, and have been lucky to meet so many wonderful individuals through the society. 
    I was privileged to serve on many committees over the years and am very excited to join the group. Currently I work as associate professor at Keck School of Medicine at University of Southern California, Los Angles, CA. My main work is in the ICUs, and I have a great interest in hemodynamics as well as the use and advancement of bedside and point of care ultrasound. I have had the pleasure to working with some of you in the past and some in the present and hope to work with all soon.

Keith Killu
    University of Southern California
    Los Angeles

• 7.  RE: Welcome to the CCO KEG!

Posted 02-15-2023 09:35

Hello everyone!,

My name is Jason Moore and I am the program director for the Critical Care Medicine fellowship at the University of Pittsburgh Medical Center in Pittsburgh.  I was privileged to be part of the ALCCM group and have already learned so much from that group.  I am very much looking forward to promoting integrated Critical Care Organizations as part of this KEG and learning so much more from all of you!

Jason Moore

Jason Moore
    Associate Professor of Critical Care
    UPMC
    Pittsburgh

• 8.  RE: Welcome to the CCO KEG!

Posted 02-16-2023 07:55

My name is Craig Coopersmith and I am the director of the Emory Critical Care Center where we have over 300 faculty and APPs managing patients in an integrated academic CCO in 6 hospitals.  I was privileged to be part of the ALCCM group and am looking forward to working with each of you in this exciting new KEG.

Craig Coopersmith
    Director, Emory Critical Care Center
    Atlanta GA

• 9.  RE: Welcome to the CCO KEG!

Posted 02-17-2023 08:01
    Hello folks,  Dan Herr here, formally of the University of Maryland, chief of critical care, CSICU director ( my clinical home) and ECMO director.  Now semi-retired in Bluffton SC.  Thinking about my next move.  I have really enoyed working with this group, I have definitely learned more than contributed.  Looking forward to what topics we will be discussing.  Will try to come up with some provocative questions, hopefully others will do the same..  

Daniel Herr MD MS FCCM
    VP - ECMO Virtual Advisors

• 10.  RE: Welcome to the CCO KEG!

Posted 02-17-2023 07:06

Dr. Pastores, thank you for the invitation.

My name is Stella Nwogugu. I am a newly minted nurse scientist. I obtained my PhD in Nursing at the CUNY Graduate Center. I am also an acute care nurse practitioner in the step-down arm of the critical care center at Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center. Previously, I worked as an NP in the ICU of the same institution and at current, periodically moonlight there. I also worked in the medical ICU and respiratory care unit at Mount Sinai Medical Center as a bedside nurse. My areas of research interest largely center on the post-ICU experience of patients with cancer. My dissertation was a secondary analysis of an NCI dataset investigating the relative impact of personal agency, social support, and demographic variables on physical-activity behavior of a national sample as well as how those relationships differed amongst cancer survivors and their counterparts through an intersectional lens. In addition, my other project involves studying delirium in the post-ICU setting of my hospital. I am happy to be a part of SCCM and look forward to participating in collaborative research and clinical opportunities within the CCO networks.

Stella Nwogugu
    Columbia University School of Nursing
    New York

• 11.  RE: Welcome to the CCO KEG!

Posted 02-19-2023 07:24

Dan Brown from the Mayo Clinic where I am adult intensivist and lead a CCO that includes all of our ICUs, adult and pediatric, medical and surgical, across 4 states and 10 hospitals. It was great to be a part of the ALCCM group and now see the transition to a KEG with more broad involvement of those interested in CCOs. Looking forward to discussions on this topic and learning from others.

Dan

Daniel Brown
    Chair, Division of Critical Care Medicine
    Mayo Foundation
    Rochester

• 12.  RE: Welcome to the CCO KEG!

Posted 03-01-2023 17:09

Thanks for the introduction Steve!

A warm welcome to all current and future members of this unique Critical Care Organizations KEG!

We are all pioneers in this early struggle to create Critical Care Organizations. There are many experts among us ready to share their knowledge to help others advance the governance of critical care services in their hospitals and hospital networks.

I'm looking forward to learning from all of you.  See you in the threads…

John Oropello
    Program Director, Critical Care Medicine
    Mount Sinai School of Medicine
    New York NY